Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"District 9"


Finally Hollywood has put out a movie that dares to be different. I'm not a huge sci-fi guy (and don't say that "Star Wars" is sci-fi b/c it's way more than that), but my curiosity got the best of me, so I went and saw "District 9" on opening night. I have to say that I was more than pleased w/ what I saw. The movie is almost broken up into 2 parts: 1. the set up and 2. the play out. At first, I was thinking that the 2nd half of the movie was more entertaining than the 1st, but after thinking about it, I'd say they were both equally entertaining...just different.

Things I loved about this movie:
1.They didn't use any well-known actors. It makes the story more believeable and gives authenticity to where the movie takes place.
2.How they portrayed the aliens. There's not much more I can say about this w/out giving something away, so I'll just say that I LOVED what they did w/ the aliens.
3.There was no romance story that you would typically see in a summer movie. (That is, the lead guy doesn't suddenly get partnered w/ a female who he hates at first and then eventually falls in love with). There is a love ingredient in the movie, but it is certainly not in the forefront
4.The science fiction aspect of the movie was very, very well done.
5.The movie was shot in a very real way. It's a mix of documentary and live action.
6.The movie had me talking in a South African accent for days. And I nailed it.

Overall, I'd give this movie an A-. I didn't leave the theater obsessing over it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend it to all my movie-obsessed friends...you know who you are.

Next: "Inglorious Bastards" comes out this Friday. If I write anything less than a raving review of it, consider me the most depressed person in the world.

1 comment:

  1. I thougth it started fabulous and then limped across the finish line. Were they trying to complete the story or leave it open for a sequel? Aside - In a reversal of the norm, it was awesome that our alien was named Christopher Johnson while our human was named Wickus.

    ReplyDelete