Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Adventureland" / "Sunshine Cleaning"

I chose to review both of these movies at the same time b/c both are so similar. The plots are completely different...kind of...but the feeling of "Adventureland" and "Sunshine Cleaning" are exactly the same. Both movies have that indie feel (ie "Little Miss Sunshine" or "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist"), so much so that I was waiting for that cliche shot of the teenage boy looking out the car window, headphones in place, with some indie rock song playing on the soundtrack.

Having said all that, I thought both movies were good. I actually liked "Adventureland" better which surprised me. In case you don't know, "Adventureland" is about a college student finding himself desperate for a job. His only offer is at a run down theme park. From there he meets new friends that give him entirely new experiences. It reeks of that typical coming-of-age story, but it does well with it. Ryan Reynolds holds his own playing the role of a lowly repairman. It reminded me a lot of "Dazed and Confused." Give it a try if you're looking for an offbeat dramody.

"Sunshine Cleaning" has all the ingredients of an independent movie - including Alan Arkin. Amy Adams stars as a struggling mother faced w/ staring a cleaning business amidst being a fading star in a small town (small town = independent movie ingredient). With all characters being borderline pathetic, the movie remains upbeat. The problem that I have with this movie is that it's not conversational. There's nothing to bash in this movie and there's nothing to rant and rave about. At best, I'd say it's pretty good - worth a shot, but nothing that's going to define your evening.

* I must admit that I watched both of these movies in the back of my father-in-law's Tahoe on the to and from North Carolina. With my legs half numb, a dog in my lap half the time, and living in fear of what might happen if I were to rip one, my memories of these movies could be a bit cloudy. So if you totally disagree with me, well, you have my disclaimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment