Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"The Taking of Pelham 123"


Hmmm....what to say about this movie, what to say? Well, it wasn't bad. It wasn't great. When Netflix asks for my review of it, I'll give it 3 stars and move on. There is ONE thing I'll take from this movie...it will be how weird it was to hear John Travolta say "motha f..." I know this seems irrelevant to the movie, the plot, and all that other movie jargon, but I'm telling you that Travolta steals the show with his weird, spastic way of swearing through a subway radio. I've never seen or heard anything like it. I know Travolta is playing a psychotic extortionist, but still, that doesn't excuse anything. It's like he's trying to drop an F bomb while holding in a hick-up all at the same time. It's quite remarkable, actually. I don't think I could do it if I tried.

I hate to harp on casting again, but why put a gun in Danny Zuko's hand when you have Denzel Washington RIGHT THERE. Denzel can play any character any way he wants. He's an incredible actor. But he is especially good at the villain (i.e. "Training Day"). The whole thing just seemed backwards. I would have made Travolta the good guy and Washington the bad guy.

The backwards casting isn't enough to ruin the movie. It had it's moments. Again, I'd give it a 3 out of 5. It's a good action/thriller but not one where I'd run out and recommend it to everyone I saw.

2 comments:

  1. The taking of Pelham is so good movie and full of joy while this movie i show i really become so excited.Producers,directors and actor are make so much hard effort for making this film.

    r4i software

    ReplyDelete
  2. andrew, a couple questions:
    1. who are u?
    2. were u drunk when u wrote this?

    ReplyDelete