Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Taken"

I am extremely biased towards actor Liam Neeson b/c of his role as Qui-Gon Jinn in "Star Wars Episode 1: Phantom Menace." His hair was long, the force was strong in him, and I'm pretty sure he was the first to the netherworld.
Having said that, no biased needed here when critiquing "Taken." If you are a fan of any "Bourne" movies, then you will enjoy "Taken" as well. The action scenes don't take long to get to. They are fast moving, highly choreographed, entertaining, and hinge on the edge of believable. You will have to throw out some realism as countless bullets whizz by Neeson's body, himself going unharmed.

When this movie was in theaters, all I kept hearing was how great this movie was. Maybe b/c it was released when there were no other good movies out, but that was the general consensus for this movie. So going into it, my expectations were high. Maybe that's why I'm not ranting and raving about it now. It was really good, don't get me wrong but I wouldn't call it amazing. It's definitely a movie more for guys than girls.
Overall, I'd give it a really good (w/ some predictability).

movie side note: don't worry, this doesn't give anything away: at the beginning of the movie, Neeson gives his daughter a karaoke machine. Reminded me of when my mom gave my dad the same gift (although, I think he was turning 57 when he got his gift). My dad, high on the thrill of Karaoke, decide it best to use it while sitting atop a picnic table...alone...in the middle of the woods. His audience? the random squirrel, the occasional jumping mullet, and whatever family member decided to walk out onto the cabin porch and yell sarcastic remarks at him. I'm pretty sure my cousin Ian wanted to go poke him w/ a stick, but that never happened.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Bourne movies. I was very underwhelmed by Taken. So predictable; so formulaic. It wanted to be as smart and clever as Bourne, but simply wasn't.

    On a seperate note, I wholeheartedly agree that expectation is a crucial element in determing whether one likes a given movie or not. I hated Legends of the Fall and the English Patient the first times I saw them. I simply expected something different than what they were. Upon re-watching them, I loved them, b/c I had low expectations, and I knew that they were primarily human dramas with a little bit of action thrown in, not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taken is a so nice movie with so much action stunts are shown.All the team of producer and directors had really made great effort and hard work to make this movie.I like this movie and hope that other people will also like this.

    nintendo dsi r4

    ReplyDelete