Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Star Trek"

I've finally seen a movie that surpasses its hype. "Star Trek" was incredible. It's right at 2 hours long, and there isn't one lull in the entire movie. The story is great, the special effects are great, how they introduce the characters is great. In my mind, the goal of these type of movies (like "X-Men," "Lord of the Rings," "Star Wars," "Batman" etc) is to make you feel like a kid again. "Star Trek" accomplishes this. It's a movie that I left saying, "I'm going to buy that the day it comes out on DVD." This movie entertains both trekies and the casual movie goer. I can't say enough good things about, so I'll just stop now.

The only qualm that I might have w/ the film is that it actually has me legitimately comparing "Star Trek" with "Star Wars." I never thought this day would come. If you picked out one of the 6 "Star Wars" movies and compared it to "Star Trek," Trek would win hands down. That fact has shaken the very ground that I walk on. Fortunately, the story of "Star Wars" along w/ its creativity put it over the top.

Overall, I'd give "Star Trek" an A++. Go see it.

ps. see if you can find one of the soldiers of Rohan in the movie.

movie side note: I told my friend Sarah that if she and her husband Dave went to see "Star Trek" w/ my wife and me, that I'd mention them in my review. Now though, after experiencing Dave's driving, I find myself reluctant to go through w/ my promise. I'm just kidding. It was actually one of the funnest rides I've ever been on (and I just spent a weekend in Orlando visiting 2 different theme parks). We were catching air over speed bumps (that I didn't think he knew were there), fishtailing around several corners, and were lost half the time (and we were only going a few miles down the road. How he was able to get us lost was the most impressive part). You would have thought he was doing all this on purpose but I'm pretty sure all he was thinking about was why he didn't grab a second piece of pizza when leaving the house and whether or not his little brother really could beat him up now. The only ride I've been on that made me more nautious was "Cat in the Hat" at Islands of Adventure. It's a kiddy ride that'll make you puke your lunch.

5 comments:

  1. Agreed. This movie was awesome. I was always a Star Wars guy (Dave can tell you, I not only used to watch the original Star Wars trilogy every day when I was a kid, one time I even watched it backwards because my VCR had that option. Yes, backwards...from finish to start...all 3 movies...with no sound. I can't tell if I am ashamed or proud of that feat)...anyway, looking back now, I have to say this movie surpasses Star Wars for me. Maybe if I were a kid again I would feel different, but even the recent Star Wars movies weren't as cool as this. Although, during the gun fight towards the end, I did find myself thinking, boy... Spock and Kirk could really use some lightsabers right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this in Imax on Saturday and I think it surpasses Star Wars now for me....It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think saying that this 1 movie is better than "star wars" is a bit unfair. I classify "Star Wars" as all SIX movies. I think "Star Trek" is better than any one of the 6 "Star Wars" movies but the complete saga of "Star Wars" is better, in my opinion. Having said that, my "opinion" is completely biased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you've got a good point. maybe after the hype of just seeing such a cool movie wears off...i'll feel differently. but i would like to see lightsabers in the next film. (im sure i just broke some trekkie fan code by saying that)

    ReplyDelete