Sunday, May 10, 2009

"Marley and Me"

The following accounts are completely true: My family has not had a great history with dogs. They are as follows: 1. Before I was born, my family had a dog. I don't remember its name. I never knew it b/c, while my family was gone, it got eaten by an alligator on the front porch of our house (in Palm Valley). 2. We had a dog named Sugar. It got the cops called on it more than once by our senile neighbor. My parents told us they took it to a farm to live. I believed that lie until I was about 18. (I discovered the truth while watching TV. On the show, the parents fed their children the same lie and I thought to myself, "what idiot would believe that." I was that idiot.) 3. My sister got a dog when I was about 13. I don't remember its name either b/c we only had it for about a week. My sister claimed that it was too hyper because, and I quote, "I think it's getting drunk off wild berries in the back yard." Let's review: dog #1 gets eaten by an alligator, dog #2 was a criminal, dog #3 got wasted in the backyard off wild berries.

Having said all that, after watching "Marley and Me" I want a dog. It was a good movie. I was expecting a kid movie, but there were more "real life" situations than I expected. It's not a movie that's going to change your life, but it's pretty good. It might be about 15-20 minutes too long and parts of it take itself too seriously but overall, it's worth a watch. I didn't know that Alan Arkin was in it. He was great. My favorite part might be when they try and make Owen Wilson look 5-7 years older by simply parting his hair in the middle. It was awesome. I'm used to seeing Wilson in "Bottlerocket" or "Wedding Crashers." So seeing him as a father figure was a bit of a stretch for me. Jennifer Anniston was excellent as always. Overall, I'd say it's worth a watch.



movie side note: If "marley and me" combined with "lake placid", then they'd have something. Dog verse alligator: I know how that story ends. But it's still worth exploring.

6 comments:

  1. 1. The first dogs name wa Girly. How do you not remember her? You must be stupid. 2. Sugar was a Pitt Bull. Good call on Mom and Dad for taking her "to the farm". 3. Duffy was a crazy drunk.
    You should get a dog. Merle could have a cousin.
    AND, you forgot Tex. That dog just stunk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah...tex. he took naps on his walks. and he ran away twice. dad called him a nomad, a wanderer. he was boarn to roam. just not on his walks. that time was for his naps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dave and I had this cat that we ended up getting rid of when we found out I'm allergic to cats...but our parents told us he went to live on a farm and every day he would go into the woods and kill a wild animal and bring it back to the farmer. I believed that until I was in highschool and it finally hit me. dave believed it until about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course he did. that's awesome. it's so cliche, yet everyone falls for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are stupid. That's why I don't care when you say derogatory things about me.

    I'm not watching this movie until Marley becomes a sloth or a porcupine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok wait....so how do you know the dog got eatten by an alligator on the front porch? you said your family was out.

    ReplyDelete